Do you have questions about the design process or how we do things at CADOX?

Frequently Asked Questions

You can call the office any time between 9-5 pm Monday to Friday. If you are unable to contact us, you can leave a phone message and one of our friendly staff members will be in contact with you once the office re-opens.


Alternatively, you can send us an email at admin@cadox.com.au

In some cases, you won’t need planning approval. These projects include some garden sheds, new decks, pergolas, carports and home extensions. This type of development must be done in accordance with the development standards. If you can’t satisfy all of these standards it is no longer an exempt development, and you may need to apply for planning approval through your local council.

This is a complex question and depends on many things including:

  • The size of the project
  • The materials that the project will be built with
  • The quality of the materials
  • The slope of the site
  • The complexity of the design

As we are not builders, we are unable to provide an estimate however, We can provide you with contacts to some of the best Builders in the Outer East who we liaise with on a regular basis. We see your project through to the Building Surveyor check list- required to sign off for your building permit. If your building surveyor requests changes, our Drafting team will address the changes to your plans (applicable to drafting) to assist you to receive your building permit.

Site plans are an overhead view of the site and any existing structures in reference to the boundaries of the lot. Site plans should outline location of utility services, retaining walls, setback requirements, easements, fences and the location of driveways and topographical data that specifies the slope of the terrain.

Turnaround time is always dependent on a project. Based on the project details and requirements we can then calculate the timeline for the project completion.

A planning permit can take anywhere between three to twelve months, depending on your project.

A pre-application meeting with your council is the starting point and will provide a guide of council’s opinions and any concerns they may have. Lodging the application and having it allocated to a planner is the next step. The planner will carry out an assessment of the application. The application is then sent to advertising and objections can be lodged. The objections (if any) are considered, and the planner may take the application to a meeting for a decision or if possible, recommend an outcome for the proposals.

In simple terms, a building permit deals with a building’s structural stability and safety whilst a planning permit deals with local appropriateness of form, location or use.

Building permit requirements are now based on the scope of building works rather than the value of the building work. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, feel free to call us for clarification on (03) 9735 3100.

The building surveyor will check for compliance with the regulations and can issue a permit with or without conditions. The building surveyor who issues the permit must follow the project through to the end, carrying out building inspections and issue an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection on completion of your building work.

Elevations are a 2D views of a home design and include front, rear and both side elevations. They show ridge heights and positioning of the final fall of the land, exterior finishes, roof pitches, fence locations and other details.

You’ll be able to see your ideas come to life! This way it is easy for you to see exactly what you are getting and allows you to successfully explore all the design opportunities. Photo realistic renders are also a great way for you to share your design with others and promote or sell designs off the plan.

When council issues a NOD, it means they have decided to grant a planning permit. However, if objections are received, a planning permit cannot yet be issued. If objections are received after public notification of the proposal, a planning permit cannot be issued until objectors are given an opportunity to appeal (should they wish to) against the NOD to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

A 6-star energy rating is required for all new homes, home renovations, alterations, additions and relocations in Victoria. A 6-star energy rating is achieved through an efficient layout and simple adjustments during the concept sketch stage.

The BAL determines the construction methods that must be used on land that may have a bushfire risk. The BAL-rating is formed through considering a number of factors, including the Fire Danger Index, the slope of land, types of surrounding vegetation and its proximity to other buildings. The construction methods must be included on the design documents lodged for a building permit. Our building surveyor will check that these requirements are met.

A geotechnical soil report details the suitability of a site for construction. Your project is likely to require a soil report if you are building a permanent structure. It reports on the stability of the soil in the area and any issues such as floodplains, water tables and slopes.


We use soil reports to verify that you are building in an area that is safe. When constructing a building, sewage system, roadway or other project, builders and engineers need to know if the soil can provide enough support or if it has the potential to give way.

Land surveys are crucial to the process of responsible land development. They are commonly used to determine the boundaries and features of properties, to determine easements and encroachments, to develop or build on land, and to satisfy local building codes and regulations.

Ready to plan your dreams?

Get in touch with the expert team at CADOX today.